Friday 16 November 2012

...Being assertive

...'I can do better than him'...'he is only good at talking'...'I have thought about it long ago'...I think we're all familiar with these statements...the question is why we didn't do it if we really can do better?...or why we didn't speak up if we really have the idea? Can we blame those who did their job or those who spoke their mind? It's our fault for not doing our job or speak up our mind...instead many chose to give excuses for not doing the things they should or not speaking up their minds...I don't really talk about this issue openly but whenever asked I always tell my juniors to be assertive...let people notice your hard work...then they will be more appreciative...but then many people claimed they're not looking for reward or recognition to justify why they keep mum...but at the same time they complaint when people don't recognize their hard work...I believe speaking up our mind is not apple polishing...normal human beings love appreciation and recognition...and that positive feeling would motivate one's productivity...not to become arrogant...this is the reality...we live in a very competitive environment...everyone has their own agenda...so those who are more aggressive in selling their ideas will win and be at the frontline...just speak up your mind...but of course with a substance and remember to say it with a smile...as long as you don't hurt other people's feeling and you work with honesty, then you'll be OK...remember one lady (a Dean) when I attended a conference in Tokyo earlier this month...it's amazing to observe how she 'market' herself and her institution...I know her personally...what she said is not much different from others and her institution is also not that excel but the way she put and organize her thoughts makes all the differences and sounds extraordinary...people quickly notice her institution and her expertise...can we blame her for that?...no I don't think so, it requires a special skill and experience to do that...
Sent from my Blackberry

No comments:

Post a Comment